Tanya Bartolini, author of Blending the Cultures and owner of The Kitchen Bench website, has generously shared a recipe for her grandmother’s Sacoiardi Cake… with a purple tint! – just for WEAAD. Tanya and the Kitchen Bench are very proud to be a promoter and ambassador for World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD) in Queensland. The Purple Recipe Campaign is designed to raise awareness and encourage everyone to share a recipe which incorporates the colour purple to help shed more light on the serious issue of elder abuse.
We thought her Purple Recipe Campaign was great and wanted to share it here too. If you have a great purple recipe, share it via the blog – who knows, we might be able to have everyone eating purple on Sunday June 15!
“This is a family recipe that my grandmother has passed on through each generation and that we enjoy still today at all of our family gatherings. This is definitely one of my favourites.”
500ml whipping cream
2 tsp of natural purple food colouring
1 tbsp white sugar
30 savoiardi biscuits
1/2 can of evaporated milk
1/2 cup of marsala wine or sweet sherry
blueberries to decorate
LET’S START COOKING!
- In a large bowl combine the evaporated milk and marsala.
- In a mixing bowl whip the cream with the sugar until thick and fluffy.
- Remove 1/3 of the whipped cream, set aside in a bowl and add the food colouring to the cream and mix through well.
- Dip a biscuit into the marsala mixture and then place into a baking or serving dish. Repeat this process until you have created your first layer of biscuits, you will use about 9 – 10 biscuits per layer.
- Top the first layer of biscuits with a thin layer of the uncoloured whipped cream.
- Repeat the step above dipping the biscuits into the marsala mixture and then create another layer of biscuits on top of the existing layer.
- Continue with the steps above until you have created a cake 3 layers high of biscuits and cream.
- Cover the outside of the cake with the purple coloured whipped cream and then top with blueberries to decorate.
See more at: http://thekitchenbench.com.au/2014/05/the-kitchen-bench-supports-world-elder-abuse-awareness-day or check out a full collection of purple recipes at http://www.weaadqld.com/?page_id=91
You must be logged in to post a comment.